A word of caution about RAS

waterford blues
16-06-2011, 12:13 PM
I am a Landlord whose property was accepted under the RAS scheme. I was given a list of requirements following an inspection. I spent the best part of 10,000 getting the house up to the agreed standard, ie externally insulating to bring BER cert up to a D. My property was reinspected and passed. I was told the contracts would be issued on the Monday. That was 3 months ago and still I have no contracts. Apparently Waterford city council have over stocked my type of house and thay are not going to take it on. I have a copy of everything ie all the agreements they sent me etc. but all they say is "sorry". So please landlords be careful. My house has been been rented since January and I spent money I didn't have and all for nothing.

Maynooth
16-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Your future tenants might not consider having a minimum of a D BER rating as nothing.

Inca
19-06-2011, 08:53 PM
I am a Landlord whose property was accepted under the RAS scheme. I was given a list of requirements following an inspection. I spent the best part of 10,000 getting the house up to the agreed standard, ie externally insulating to bring BER cert up to a D. My property was reinspected and passed. I was told the contracts would be issued on the Monday. That was 3 months ago and still I have no contracts. Apparently Waterford city council have over stocked my type of house and thay are not going to take it on. I have a copy of everything ie all the agreements they sent me etc. but all they say is "sorry". So please landlords be careful. My house has been been rented since January and I spent money I didn't have and all for nothing.

Hopefully, you will be able to rent it out privately. Fair dues for bringing your situation to other landlord's attention. Typical, Local Authority behaviour - they have no idea of how things operate in the real world. This behaviour is just not acceptable but no-one takes responsibility in these situations, there are no repercussions for shabby service and few of them even care ... they just go through the motions in between hiding-go-seek and card games.

"Sorry" does not feed your family ..... is there any way you would have a case for negligent behaviour? You say they overstocked your type of house .... surely they didn't overstock your type of house by one unit. Why did they overstock your type? Can they not analyse the housing list and respond professionally.

I suspect that if you ruffle a few feathers .... write a letter to the County Manager and demand an explanation ... you might well find that you get a call to say that "there has been a surge in demand for your type of property in the last week."

Personally, I would have nothing to do with the scheme as the LA do not pay the market rate and you lose control over your property ... life is too short so I like to minimise any dealings with them.

Shark Trager
19-06-2011, 10:30 PM

You have probably saved someone a lot of hastle,these useless donkeys make me sick,they wouldnt last 10 minutes in a real job in the real world,what makes it unbearable is that I am paying these Jeffy half wits salaries through NPPR and my taxes.

Shark Trager
19-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Contact a Solicitor about this,you may have a case.

waterford blues
22-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks for your comments and advise but believe you me I have tried everything to get the council to change their minds.I have involved my local TD and contacted my solicitor. They will not change their minds. My solicitor says that I might have a case, but I am worried about dragging it out any longer and throwing any more money at it.

I advertised the house privately 2 weeks ago and guess what. I got a tenant who qualifies for the RAS scheme and is desperate for the house. Bearing in mind they said there was a shortage of tenants.

They now want to take the house on a tenant specific basis under the RAS scheme. So they get all the benefits of the RAS scheme but I get little. They will pay below market rent for the house and when the tenant leaves, deal off.

I am sick to the teeth of these people in the council and would love to tell them where to go. However the rental market in Waterford is the worst I have ever seen it. The chances of getting a tenant who is not on the RAS scheme or in receipt of housing benefit are very slim. So can't cut off my nose to spite my face.

Just want to warn other landlords before they rip out their boilers to put in a new condenser boiler etc to thing twice. I trusted the council, I spent money I didn't have and I am sick to my stomach now at the way they have treated me. BE CAREFUL

Shark Trager
22-06-2011, 01:49 PM
I advertised the house privately 2 weeks ago and guess what. I got a tenant who qualifies for the RAS scheme and is desperate for the house. Bearing in mind they said there was a shortage of tenants.

They now want to take the house on a tenant specific basis under the RAS scheme. So they get all the benefits of the RAS scheme but I get little. They will pay below market rent for the house and when the tenant leaves, deal off.

Tenant specific is just as good I reckon as the other option,the tenant generally is unlikely to leave and you are guaranteed rent.RAS always pays below the going rental rate,you get a lease for 4 years + and guaranteed rent paid direct to your A/C...I would definitely think that there is way less churn of tenants under lease through RAS as it takes quite a while to qualify.
Looking at the bright side you can write off these improvements against rental income.
It still does not excuse this wretched Pontius Pilate like incompetence from Council officials,will there be any accountability?Will there F**k.They are probably sitting on their holes reading the Irish Times cover to cover for the 4th time today while the phones ring off the hook in the background.

Jocelyn
26-06-2011, 02:24 PM
new to this forum and have to say it's great for all the information....you people are a mind of information :)
thanks for this post and heads up. an inspector visited our rental property last week, so waiting to hear back from county council. i will ensure that they give me a guarantee before i complete the works...i'm expecting the report to say this/that needs to be done!!

roberttwom
26-06-2011, 04:55 PM
"you people are a mind of information"

Hmmm, interesting take on the English language, you lady.

Shark Trager
26-06-2011, 09:14 PM
"you people are a mind of information"

Hmmm, interesting take on the English language, you lady.

Not all of us were gifted with such expensive academic third level qualifications Robert (MA in Freestyle Physical Expression through London Ballet, in conjunction with the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama)

Incidentally what does that qualify you for??

X-Factor?;)

roberttwom
26-06-2011, 10:52 PM
"incidentally what does that qualify you for??"

Correcting you people, for one.

Jazzing my little ass off, for two.

Thanks.

And goodnight.

xxx to you Sharkie.

Treeshea
27-06-2011, 07:44 AM
You seem a bit tetchy Robert. Papa cut the allowance?

roberttwom
27-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Ha!!! As if.... has just been very generously increased, actually. But thank you for your interest and concern, Mr Treeman.

Jocelyn
07-07-2011, 07:03 PM
'you people'...just my way of being friendly with my first post :)

just thought i'd post an update about my RAS application...
well it was turned down, even though i told the council that i was prepared to spend money bringing the property up to the councils standard. i found the council very unhelpful. when i wrapping up the phone call, i was just saying my goodbyes and next of all...the phone was slammed down...very rude me thinks!!

Inca
08-07-2011, 10:43 AM
'you people'...just my way of being friendly with my first post :)

The Worm is our resident comedian .... he is highly entertaining and gives us all a good laugh .... he never has anything constructive to say though so don't take it personally.

roberttwom
08-07-2011, 11:41 AM
.... he never has anything constructive to say though

Oh? Is that so? You, Inca, are a little bitchy-pants. How about this recent post from yours truly:

03-06-2011, 11:58 AM
roberttwom

You're so right to be thinking of this. You absolutely cannot put a monetary value on cleanliness. Cleanliness is worth its weight in GOLD (although if it's clean, it shouldn't weigh anything - it's dirt and grime and germs that weigh something, but you know what I mean, I'm sure). So, what do you need to do? You need to:

Scrub, scrub, scub
Polish, polish, polish
Dis - in - fect

That can be a little mantra that you repeat aloud as you go. It'll generate cool vibes and positive energy that will help you along.

I'm not a landlord, I'm a tenant, so I think I have a very valuable perspective to offer you guys. And I'm so happy to offer this. Take it from me - a dirty dwelling will get a dirty tenant. Roll up your sleeves, get the job done and the tenant will understand that you're a clean-living guy who runs a tight ship. That's the sort of tenant you want. I could tell you horror stories about some people I've lived with, truly stomach-turning.

See you!

Was that not "constructive"? Perhaps not... how would I know? I've never even been involved in construction. I suppose it's bread-and-butter to you lot. Not me, though. I am, as you know, an aesthete, not some grubby builder boy.

By the way, Inch (is that what your wife calls you?), I presume you're referring to me when you say "Worm"? Most unbecoming.

A bientot mi petit

Inca
08-07-2011, 12:03 PM
By the way, Inch (is that what your wife calls you?), I presume you're referring to me when you say "Worm"? Most unbecoming.

A bientot mi petit

Bobby Baby,

Conas ata tu?

We have actually gone metric in our house - she calls me 25mm!

Also, I'm afraid you need to brush up on the old french - I presume you meant to say "mon petit" ....

Slan

roberttwom
08-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Indeed. Thank you dearly, 25mm, for your gentle correction. One of the pitfalls of being a multilinguist, mi amor.

Jocelyn
08-07-2011, 09:26 PM
lol...:) absolutely no offence taken
hence the reason for ending my last post with 'me thinks'

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum