Rent Supplement Queries

Ciara
18-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Hi,

We are thinking of renting out apartment and have a couple who are interested in taking our 2 bed apartment in Kinsale. They have said that they recieve current rent supplement from Gov and can get €620 per month and will pay additional €80 to bring us to €700 per month, as we charged.
Prior to this they were in outskirts of town and had a dependent who has since left.

Questions I have are in regard to looking at websites and confusion in relation to:

1. They say that Landlords can no longer get the cheque or deposit directly and this has to go through the tenant? Is this correct? They say this regulation changed this year but I cannot find evidence of same.

2. They are moving from another place outside of town and into centre - is this eligible ( albeit there will be house assessment no doubt). I read that the supplementary budget changed the eligibility to having to be in rented accom for 6 mths or that you need to be on housing list to get rent supplement. Not sure what exactly this means in this case? Does it mean that their eligibility is based on being on a housing list?

We are planning to go ahead with an agreement with this couple and just want to ensure that we have all boxes ticked and do not end up being shafted?

Thanks for any advise

Ciara

Shark Trager
19-11-2009, 06:48 PM
You need to ring up the DSW officer handling this couple and ask her these questions.

Also ask if they are familiar with this couple,DSW Officers are not allowed divulge information pertaining to their "clients"but if the DSW officer is experienced they will indirectly let you know if they are problem client that is if you are lucky enough to deal with a sensible officer,they equally get a pain in their heads dealing with the small minority of clients that create trouble.

You have to be especially careful when vetting tenants,bogey tenants can spot an inexperienced LL at 1000 yards,conversely I at this stage can spot them at an equal distance,if you have a blind spot for these scumbags,ensure all research is done,refs checked,employeres ref etc,always be aware of tenants in a rush to get into your house,they are leaving somewhere else in an awful rush,usually ahead of an eviction order,having trashed someone elses property.

Always listen very carefully to what is being said to you,do not be in any rush to fill a silence,leave that to them,bogeys always let something slip,the trick is to be listening carefully when they do.

Never give refs to tenants who have been troublesome,their new LL will not be at all happy with you.

Also factor in the possibility of the Budget,the S/W schemes may be hit,which may in turn lead to tenants ringing up a month into the lease looking for a reduction.

You mention a third person possibly a child no longer living there,what happens if they decide to come home?

I do not want to be overly negative,but spade work done now will save you no end of heart ache later on.

Confused&Stressed
20-11-2009, 09:13 PM
1. They say that Landlords can no longer get the cheque or deposit directly and this has to go through the tenant? Is this correct? They say this regulation changed this year but I cannot find evidence of same.

not true - you can get the money paid to you but they must agree to this. if they are telling you otherwise it would raise a red flig with me - perhaps they will get the cheque and not pass it on? I don't understand why any honest person would not agree to the rent going direct to LL - it makes things easier for them for gods sake! saves them a trip to the bank!

also, as for their payment, based on their calculations then they are getting 90% supplement. Check this with the Community welfare officer.

Also you will have to complete some paperwork to agree to take them on as tenants - this is a good opportunity to contact the CWO to ask questions. don't sign anything for them without speaking to the CWO first.

Shark Trager
21-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Hi C&S,Longford DSW will not pay directly to Landlord instead pay to tenant,talked at length to CWO who insisted it was policy for that particular County,I have only experience of SW in Dublin and Longford so cannot speak for other counties but there is a precedent for payment via tenant to Landlord,Dublin though is different in that the decision is the tenants to make but as you said,why would a tenant be bothered,If there is a choice then I would only ever take a tenant that allows DSW lodge the majority of rent go direct to my A/C.

Kango7
21-07-2010, 05:27 AM
My tenant has contacted me and says she cannot get Rent Supplement unless I change/ rewrite the lease to show the current allowed amount. Also this amount reflects 2 children and in 3 weeks she will have 3rd. child but the amount she quotes is based on 2 children.This tenant opted for my 4 bed 3 bathroom best house in the estate and was willing to pay the small extra for that. The difference between the correct supplement for 3 children and the rent agreed is 75 per month.

She assures me that she will pay me the extra over amount and has no bother with that. Once I give her a new lease with new amount I feel I am very exposed. If she decides to only pay me that amount I would have no recourse to PRTB or Social Welfare as they will refer to the new agreed lease.I can then be stuck with this for 4 years. Also next time the supplement is changed a precedent would be established for reducing the rent again.

Can anyone with experience tell me if I have to give in to this and change the lease and put myself at this risk of being told later that the extra will not be paid.

If I refuse can Social Welfare refuse my Tenant the Rent Supplement. Do the rules not allow extra payment by the Tenant and why does the agreed lease have to be changed.

fialou14
21-07-2010, 07:23 AM
Hi there,
Your lease agreement will have to reflect the actual amount the HSE allow a tenant to pay for rent. All tenants receiving Rent Supplement are supposed to pay a weekly Top Up of €24. Rates are currently being decreased for all sectors except single people living alone in our area anyway. Rent Supplement will not be paid if the rent is in excess of the allowable rate. The allowable amounts are different in every area for the different categories!

You will be exposed for the difference and any further problems down the road will be based on the amount agreed by HSE.

Shark Trager
21-07-2010, 12:58 PM
i have a problem with my inbuilt washing machine at my rented flat am i able to get that fixed by the landlord. any help would be good thanks

This is your Landlords responsibility,my experience with washing machines is that when they go they usually start tripping out the power,you need to call the Landlord and inform him of the problem,8 times out of ten it is cheaper to replace the machine with a new one rather than get a man to fix them...the fix never lasts long.

Kango7
22-07-2010, 09:14 PM
In addition to the allowable HSE Rent Supplement can I charge the tenant for additional items - such as Community Charges, House Insurances, Refuse Collection- and will the HSE object to these.

Shark Trager
22-07-2010, 10:41 PM
In addition to the allowable HSE Rent Supplement can I charge the tenant for additional items - such as Community Charges, House Insurances, Refuse Collection- and will the HSE object to these.

You need to establish before the lease is signed who is responsible for refuse collection,gardening etc and write this into the lease....as for getting the tenant to pay for house insurance,best of luck with that.

What are community charges?

helpful?
23-07-2010, 01:31 PM
You need to establish before the lease is signed who is responsible for refuse collection,gardening etc and write this into the lease

A lease can never withdraw rights from a tenant:

from 01 December 2009, new regulations require Landlords to maintain the house in a sound state, both inside and out. Under Section 18A of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 and the Private Rented Sector, a Landlord is obliged to maintain the structure and exterior of any rental property, including their exteriors. This extends to the garden and any grounds, other than those vested in a Management Company.

Regarding the house insurance - forget it. It's your property, you insure it. If you need to make a claim it will be you who benefits financially. Unless, of course, you intend to give all funds received from a claim to the tenant.

A Tenant should always have their own contents insurance, anyway. Why do you think they should they pay for two lots of insurance and you pay for none?!?

Kango7
23-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Nobody is really answering my query regarding SW blackmailing me into changing a lease freely entered into by the Tenant. Effectively the SW are compelling my Tenant to abandon the lease under the threat of getting no money. In the area I now note on DAFT that the asking rents are now all at or above my agreed figure. Believe it or not the asking rents have increased slightly in the meantime. I was open to a SW Tenant depending on them being acceptable and this person said they had fully cleared everything before she took the house. Even Mam & Dad came along and said my house and the arrangements were in good hands and I should have no worries. A week after I agreed to go with this I had another good non SW prospect wanting the house. Now my Tenant will get 260 per week plus 150*3= +450 per month for the 3 children and 500 rent allowance.If I give in and change the lease the government can cut the rent allowance to say 300 PM next year and legally I will not be able to cancel that lease for 4 years. The extra 75 euro per month I agreed is being challenged now. Meanwhile I pay 200 pa property tax, 1500 PM repayments, 300 pa management charges, 75 to RTB,700 pa house insurances, repairs and maintenance etc etc. None of my costs have gone down in the last 3 years but the government thru SW are going to send me into bankruptacy. I would sell the house if I could now but would need to find 150,000 to deal with the negative equity.

rimbaud
23-07-2010, 11:16 PM
,700 pa house insurances,

Bloody hell,what size listed house have you got?700 a year!!!thats crazy money,shop around.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum