Irish Landlord   allainzShop

Go Back   Irish Landlord > Finance Matters
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-05-2008, 04:23 PM
LV001 LV001 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2
Default Mortgage Interest Relief

I have just rented out my property. I have registered with PRTB as well. I have not purchased another property (I'm going to rent in another city). I owned the house for over 2 years before renting it out completely. Questions i have are :1) am I still entitled to mortgage interest relief? 2) i am liable for capital gains tax 3) am I liable for stamp duty (I bought the house as a 1st time buyer.

All help appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by LV001; 21-05-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 21-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Shark Trager Shark Trager is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,318

Read this thread,should answer a few of your questions.
Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 06:09 PM
propman propman is offline
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 55

As far as I understand it once you rent the property you become liabe for all the taxes associated with rental property, technicially you would no longer be entitled to mortgage interest relief but the mortgage interest would be an alllowable expense for tax purposed against your rental income.
Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 10:19 AM
LV001 LV001 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2

Thanks folks. I read the other post as well. I will inform revenue of my changed circumstances.

As a 1st time buyer a couple of years ago and not having paid any stamp duty, I assume, having rented the property now, I do not need to pay any stamp duty?
Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 05:29 AM
gerryd gerryd is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12

You assumed wrongly stamp duty will be payable on the purchase price as your did not use it as your residence for the following two years from 31st December 2007. Previously it was five years and there ae transitional arrangements.
However if you take advantage of the rent a room allowance which is 10,000 per annum it might be adviseable to take a rent of 10,000 per annum and keep part of the house as your PPR ie Principal Private Resaidence but your nmortgage relief will be limited to the normal allowance at standard rate and no allowance will be given for your new abode ie Rent allowance or residential mortgage interest relief
When the five years or the transitional period is iover you can then rent at the market rent and claim the mortgage interest paid of the now rented house in full as a business expense and pay tax at the marginal rate of your total income
Full details of the date of purchase, price mortgage etc would be required to give a more definitive reply
This is not a professional opinion
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.