19 new rent pressure zones take effect from 1st July 2019
The full list of the 19 new LEAs across 11 counties are;
- Meath: Kells, Trim
- Louth: Ardee, Dundalk South, Dundalk – Carlingford
- Wicklow: Arklow
- Galway: Athenry/Ornamore, Gort/Kinvara
- Wexford: Gorey
- Cork; Midleton, Fermoy
- Laois: Portlaoise, Graiguecullen/Portarlington
- Waterford: Waterford City East, Waterford City South
- Westmeath: Athlone
- Limerick: Limerick City West, Limerick City North
- Kilkenny: Kilkenny
Other changes now in effect include
Investigations and sanctions in effect from 1st July 2019
New legislation has provided the RTB with the power to directly investigate and sanction, where appropriate, specific breaches of Residential Tenancy Law. There are three areas where the RTB will be able to use these powers:
- Breaches in relation to Rent Pressure Zones
- False and misleading notices of termination or where properties have not been offered back to the tenant in accordance with the law
- New investigative powers for non-registration of a tenancy
The introduction of these new powers of investigation and the related sanctions regime, give the RTB a more active and direct regulatory role in the rental sector. Sanctions may range from a caution all the way up to a sanction of €15,000 with opportunities for people to remedy any potential breaches.
Other legislative changes
Another important change coming into effect on 1st July 2019 is a requirement for landlords using the Rent Pressure Zone exemption to notify the RTB. This change is significant in getting a better understanding of rents and, in time, getting better information on the impact of these exemptions on the overall rental market.
The new legislation also requires that all notices of termination where the tenancy has been ended are required to be notified and copied to the RTB within 28 days of the tenancy ending. This, along with the information on exemptions, will give the RTB further insight into activity in the rental sector and assist with our regulatory powers.
NOTE: From 1st of July a new format rent review notice must be used – see RTB.ie for format
more to follow….